Spring Clean: Clean Eats
This April is all about Spring Cleaning. We’re doing a three part series on LIFT Life to help you make simple edits that will help make room for the stuff that makes you happy and healthy! This week is all about cleaning up what you eat. We touched on it a little in our “It Takes 20 Challenge” back in January. Here are ten tips & tricks to remind you how to get back to those clean eating practices!
- Go through your pantry/fridge. Get rid of anything that has ingredients you don’t recognize or can’t pronounce. Fill your pantry with wholesome food that has simple, natural ingredients.
- Eat something green in every meal. It is as simple as starting off your morning with a green smoothie, having a green juice around lunch time, snacking on veggies, and finishing off your day with a giant salad.
- Avoid added sugars. Look at the labels when you are purchasing pre-made items. Sugar has a habit of sneaking its way into everything! Add honey or stevia to your coffee and baked goods instead!
- Plan! Plan! Plan! Meal prep is the easiest way to make sure you stick to your clean eating schedule. Pinterest is a great source for healthy recipe ideas. Plan out all your meals ahead of time, focusing on prepping clean meals for dinner specifically.
- With your weekly menu all planned out, make a comprehensive list of what you need from the grocery store. Stick to your list! Load up on fruits and veggies as well as healthy snacks that you can enjoy throughout the day.
- Save your grocery list – To streamline this whole process, just save your lists! Whether they are pinned to your bulletin board or saved in a notes app on your phone, keep them all in one place. You’ll begin to learn what things you stock up on every visit and what you only have to purchase monthly.
- Make a little extra – Every time you are making an incredible healthy meal, make a little extra, toss it in a tupperware and bring it for lunch the next day. Easy, fool-proof, meal prep.
- Try not to focus on cutting things out. Rather think about all the amazing, delicious ingredients you can add! Coconut oil is way more flavorful in baked goods and ends up tasting so much better than butter!
- Remember that your body needs protein, fat, and carbohydrates to function optimally, especially when you live an active lifestyle. Try to get the most wholesome, natural ingredients to nourish and feed your body within each of these food groups.
- Drink water! You’ll notice such a difference in your body and your activity when you stay hydrated.
At LIFT we are very much fans of the 80/20 lifestyle! When you stick to clean eating 80% of the time, it is okay to indulge in some of your favorite guilty pleasures from time to time! Rather than admonish yourself, enjoy it! Set attainable goals, don’t deprive yourself, and have fun!